Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Zen Koan

One Zen koan, or story, tells of a man hanging by his teeth from a tree branch dangling over the edge of a cliff. A man approaches him and says, “Why did Bodhidharma travel from India to China?” If the man refuses to answer, he will fail the test. If he answers, he will fall to his death. What should he do? The answer to this koan (and all koans) lies beyond logic and must be perceived on a deeper level.   –Eva Adamson

Take a moment and reflect on this koan. I have come to the conclusion that if the man in the tree danging by his teeth were to tell the wandering observer that he could care less, this might emulate the appropriate answer. This is an appropriate Zen response. I would agree with the man hanging by his teeth because personally I do not care why Bodhidharma came from India to China.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one. If I let go of my problem my ego (my perceived self) will perish. If I stay clenched, I will forever have this problem.

    Let go. But not to answer the question. Let go to be free.

    ReplyDelete